– 2 med dried shiitake mushrooms
– 2 cup rinsed short- or medium-grain rice preferably shinmai
– 2 1/3 cup water (use 3 tbsp less water if using shinmai)
– 1 jar chestnuts in heavy syrup – (7 oz) drained
– 1 sm sweet potato peeled and diced
– 1 tsp salt
– 2 tbs light soy sauce (usukuchi shoyu)
– 2 tbs mirin
– 1 tbs toasted sesame seeds
– Radish sprouts (kaiwari daikon) (optional)
– In a 3-quart saucepan, combine rinsed rice and water; soak 15 minutes. Rinse chestnuts to remove syrup. Drain well; cut into quarters. Add mushrooms, chestnuts, sweet potatoes, salt, soy sauce and mirin to saucepan with rice; stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer 15 minutes.
– Remove from heat. Let stand, covered and undisturbed, 10 minutes. Carefully break up rice mixture with a dampened wooden rice paddle or spatula. Spoon rice mixture into serving bowls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and radish sprouts.